Skip to main content

Jizzy Pearl (Love/Hate) - Live Review

 

Venue - Real Time Live - Chesterfield 

4.5.2018

Real time live is a venue I have a lot of love for having played the stage many times and seen many bands perform on it. The stage is big, the lighting is great and the PA sounds fantastic. If you can't sound good in here then you've got no chance.

Line up

Jizzy Pearl 
Doomsday Outlaw
Emperors Of The Wasteland



First to the stage we have Emperors Of The Wasteland from Derby. The sound that came from the stage right from the beginning was very powerful. All the instruments were very clear and hard hitting. The way hard rock is meant to be. Nick (bass) was very animated on stage doing away with any notion that bass players should be heard and not seen. This in stark contrast to the guitarist who, maybe because of his physical build, reminded me of a doorman at a nightclub. Whilst he wasn't moving around too much it suited the riffs he has playing. No nonsense rock. Al's vocals came across solid and consistent if sometimes a little lost in the mix. The song's sometimes were a bit hit and miss for me but overall I enjoyed it.
With no released music as of yet (debut album in July), I can't show you what they sounded like but you can follow them here to catch them live for yourself.





Next up we have Doomsday Outlaw. It's almost a year to the day that I first and last saw this band and have been meaning to see them again since. I don't think I have enough good things to say about them. They play southern tinged groove rock and deliver it with the high energy rock music is known for. The set consisted of a number of songs from their upcoming release 'Hard Times', which is coming out on the Frontiers record label. I'm glad they have been recognised and given the opportunity to rise. 
You should see this band live if only to watch the dance moves of the lead vocalist. His hips and shoulders are always moving and you can tell he loves what he does. You get the feeling he forgets he's not in a nightclub but its fun to watch. I will definitely catch this band when they next come by and you should too.







On to the main event we have Jizzy Pearl of Love/Hate / LA Guns. I have to admit that I only knew one song which is 'Blackout and the red room' so I could hardly be considered a proper fan but I like that song and was ready to learn more about 'Uncle Jizzy' (his words, not mine). Unlike a lot of 80's high screaming vocalists, Jizzy's voice has held up rather well. It still sound like the epitome of sleaze. You'd be forgiven for thinking you'd stepped back in the 80's but swapped the spandex for black denim. Pure feel good rock and roll delivered by people who there 'back in the day'. His new album is also being released on frontiers record label and his set was a mix of this and, from what I could gather with the crowd singing along, classics. Throughout the set Jizzy would unleash pearls of Jizzdom (his words, not mine) like 'Music keep you young'. I believe that's true. You get life lessons as well as American sleaze at the Jizzy show. I liked it and am currently checking out his back catalogue so he won me over.


If you get the chance you can see him (and Doomsday Outlaw) on the rest of the tour at these places:

May 5: Slade Room, Wolverhampton
May 6: Fuel, Cardiff
May 9: Bullingdon, Oxford
May 10: Ironroad, Evesham
May 11: Tivoli, Buckley
May 12: Diamond Rock Club, Ballymena
May 13: Camden Underworld, London
May 16: Face Bar, Reading
May 17: Waterfront, Norwich
May 18: Pure, Wigan
May 19: Audio, Glasgow
May 20: Snooty Fox, Wakefield
Then acoustic dates
May 24: Gullivers, Manchester
May 25: The Asylum, Birmingham
May 26: The Firebug, Leicester *Midnight dogs instead of Doomsday outlaw
May 27: The Anvil, Bournemouth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Johnston - Wide Eyes In the Dark

Release date: 19 Apr 2019 Nick Johnston   I first heard of Nick Johnston from a suggested YouTube video of his entire "Remarkably Human" album. The artwork image stood out to me and I was in the mood for new music and I left it on in the background. I ended up listening to it few times through and then going and buying his entire 4 CD biography, a ticket to see him live and the guitar tab for the RH album. Quite simply, I was hooked. As a preface to talking about the new album I'll briefly go over the development as I see it from the previous 4. The first to albums are a wide spread of styles where Nick is still exploring and developing his sound. By the third album 'Atomic Mind' the sound is more refined but still has the odd wild track. It is only at album number 4 where 'Remarkably Human' has a continuous theme and what is now a style that you can distinguish quite clearly as Nick Johnston. You can always tell his playing on the previou

Whitesnake - Flesh and Blood

Release date : May 10th 2019 Whitesnake fans are often divided between which era of the snake is the best. Some prefer the more old school bluesy approach of the early days but to me that's too close to the deep purple sound compared to what would eventually become what is to me the 'signature' sound. That is the John Sykes / Steve Vai big hair '1987' and 'slip of the tongue' era. What keeps Whitesnake consistent are the powerhouse vocals of the legendary David Coverdale. In his prime he was one of the best vocalists in rock music as far as I'm concerned. Years of screaming like the rock god he is has taken it's toll on the old vocal chords though because in recent years at live shows you can hear that the high scream is more a metal roar and you can sometimes hear the struggle to reach where he should be. That's if I had to criticise. I think it's forgivable given his career. Another thing worth noting is the whoever is

Vega - Live Review

  Venue - The Slade Rooms - Wolverhampton 6.7.2018 At a loss for what to do with a free Friday night I reached out to the friendly Facebook community group 'New Wave Of Classic Rock' to see what was on offer and the best recommendation for me was this gig. I was only vaguely aware of Vega so I checked a few songs and liked what I heard so I committed myself and bought a ticket that morning. Let me tell you I was not disappointed. I feel like I haven't been to a gig in a while and this was a good reminder that live music is always better. I was smiling throughout the whole thing.   First up we had Devilfire. Due to unexpected traffic I missed the first half of the set but what I did see I liked. If you're a fan of guyliner, straight long hair and melodic rock and roll then you will like them too. I would say it felt to me like the Scorpions with a touch of Nickleback. Did I buy a CD? yes I did. I've given it a quick spin and although it's good I th