Skip to main content

Live review - Witch Tripper

Date - 23.3.18
Venue - The Hairy Dog 
City - Derby
Cost - £5
 

Line up :

Primal 

28 Double

Ritual King

Witch Tripper 


This is the first time I've been to The Hairy Dog and I don't think it will be the last. The stage is as good as any small club gig I've been to the lighting effects, projector backdrop and smoke we're all used to good effect and added to the joy of watching these bands. I'll get onto those now...

First up we're Primal. I'd never seen or heard these before. A Nottingham 3 piece (drums, guitar, vocals) that when I first saw them thought 'Where's the bass?'. It turns out they don't need them because their 1 guitarist sounds like 3 with all the effects that he uses. The sound reminded me of Rival sons/Royal Blood. Not really my kind of music but not bad by any means. I got the impression they are a band that hasn't gigged very  much because the whole thing for me lacked confidence. The vocalist barely looked at the audience and spent most of the gig with his eyes closed. the guitarist looked the part but again didn't spend much time looking at much past the fret board.

Next up were the reason I went to the gig in first place. The Derby based hard rock/metal band 28 Double

 
I have seen these once before and that's why I went to see them again. They open the show with my favourite track of theirs 'Feel it the most' and straight away you feel the high energy from the stage. Nick Ward (vocalist) is a natural front man and commands the stage like it was his own. We were treated to a couple of new tracks in the set that show this band have got a lot more to give. One thing that shows is they are not short of head banging riffs. Rob Tallent is a riff machine. All of this is firmly held down by the bass and drum duo Josh and Gav. Solid throughout. The set ended with 'blow the day away' a seven minute epic that while a bit slower than the rest of songs ends the set nicely and left a smile on my face that I had throughout.






Next up was Ritual King from Manchester. Another band I hadn't heard of or seen before. Their style is hard for me to describe. The best I could come up with is 'stoner doom indie grunge blues rock'. You might not think all of that goes together but it does.

 

From a performance point of view it didn't stand out as anything special but the music was interesting enough for me to pull it through. Definitely a talented bunch of musicians if not completely to my taste.




Finally we have Witch Tripper. They are one of the hardest working bands around at the moment. They give you plenty of opportunities to see them live as they gig everywhere all the time in the UK and a bit in Europe. It's right that they do this because they have a live show worth seeing. It's everything a a rock/metal band should be. Sweaty, testosterone filled, head banging and foot stomping. The shirts of off from the start and I believe that it's almost part of the their trademark having seen them before.

Similar to 28 Double before them they are an endless barrage of blues metal riffage, high energy leads and growling vocals. After the opening track 'get what you pay for' we were shown tracks from the new album you can pre order here (out April 14th). The release party for that gig is at The Salutation Inn in Nottingham on that day so get to it if you can. I know I will.



The turnout for this gig wasn't anywhere near where it should have been given the talent on display. and for only £5? You should have been there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Johnston - Wide Eyes In the Dark

Release date: 19 Apr 2019 Nick Johnston   I first heard of Nick Johnston from a suggested YouTube video of his entire "Remarkably Human" album. The artwork image stood out to me and I was in the mood for new music and I left it on in the background. I ended up listening to it few times through and then going and buying his entire 4 CD biography, a ticket to see him live and the guitar tab for the RH album. Quite simply, I was hooked. As a preface to talking about the new album I'll briefly go over the development as I see it from the previous 4. The first to albums are a wide spread of styles where Nick is still exploring and developing his sound. By the third album 'Atomic Mind' the sound is more refined but still has the odd wild track. It is only at album number 4 where 'Remarkably Human' has a continuous theme and what is now a style that you can distinguish quite clearly as Nick Johnston. You can always tell his playing on the previou

Whitesnake - Flesh and Blood

Release date : May 10th 2019 Whitesnake fans are often divided between which era of the snake is the best. Some prefer the more old school bluesy approach of the early days but to me that's too close to the deep purple sound compared to what would eventually become what is to me the 'signature' sound. That is the John Sykes / Steve Vai big hair '1987' and 'slip of the tongue' era. What keeps Whitesnake consistent are the powerhouse vocals of the legendary David Coverdale. In his prime he was one of the best vocalists in rock music as far as I'm concerned. Years of screaming like the rock god he is has taken it's toll on the old vocal chords though because in recent years at live shows you can hear that the high scream is more a metal roar and you can sometimes hear the struggle to reach where he should be. That's if I had to criticise. I think it's forgivable given his career. Another thing worth noting is the whoever is

Vega - Live Review

  Venue - The Slade Rooms - Wolverhampton 6.7.2018 At a loss for what to do with a free Friday night I reached out to the friendly Facebook community group 'New Wave Of Classic Rock' to see what was on offer and the best recommendation for me was this gig. I was only vaguely aware of Vega so I checked a few songs and liked what I heard so I committed myself and bought a ticket that morning. Let me tell you I was not disappointed. I feel like I haven't been to a gig in a while and this was a good reminder that live music is always better. I was smiling throughout the whole thing.   First up we had Devilfire. Due to unexpected traffic I missed the first half of the set but what I did see I liked. If you're a fan of guyliner, straight long hair and melodic rock and roll then you will like them too. I would say it felt to me like the Scorpions with a touch of Nickleback. Did I buy a CD? yes I did. I've given it a quick spin and although it's good I th