Skip to main content

Doomsday Outlaw - Hard Times

Release Date : 11.5.2018

Record label : Frontiers

Track Listing 
  1. Hard Times
  2. Over and Over
  3. Spirit That Made Me
  4. Into the Light
  5. Bring It on Home
  6. Days Since I Saw the Sun
  7. Will You Wait
  8. Break You
  9. Come My Way
  10. Were You Ever Mine
  11. Too Far Left to Fall

Now seems to be a good time for new underground hard rock bands pushing themselves to the forefront of the scene. Doomsday Outlaw are a good example of that. I was told the day after their Debut album 'Suffer More' was released Frontiers got into contact with them to hear it based on a review in Classic Rock magazine. I have a lot of respect for Frontiers because they are willing to takes chances on new music and usually they get it right. This is one of those times where they have.

The three singles that were released 'Over and Over', 'Spirit That Made Me' and 'Bring It On Home' all carry on the same style as 'Suffer More' which is a sort of groove blues hard rock with a pinch of country. I expected more of the same from 'Hard Times' but it turns out that the rest of the tracks are somewhat more experimental and venture into slightly new territories for the band. This makes for a more interesting listen that it's predecessor. One criticism I have is that for me there's not enough gain on the guitars at times and it seems a little bit flat because of it. This may have been a deliberate choice to sound that way but I find it lacks the power it could have had in places. That being said it's not enough to stop me enjoying the album.

The title track kicks off like a hard rock, good time rodeo and will have you bopping your head with a smile on your face. Much like the rest of the album. The mood eventually takes a drastic turn with 'Into the Light' with it's piano and violin. Phil gets to express the full emotional range of his voice on this track proving he can more than just rock out. 'Days Since I saw the Sun' see the band break away from the minor key with possibly my favourite track. I love a good harmony vocal and this chorus is covered in them. Were you wondering if there was a 7 and a half minute epic on here? with orchestral parts and a prog vibe? no? well there is, and 'Will you Wait' is that track. It's worth your time. Continuing to experiment, 'Break you' starts with a funky almost Motown sounding intro. It then returns to the country style groove rock of before. Wanting a bass line so chunky it will leaving you gurning? 'Come my Way' delivers followed by some Black Label Society style riffs for the chorus. The album ends on a almost Stoner/doom feel with its down tuned slowed down riffage of 'Too Far Left to Fall'.

Overall the variation in the tracks is just the right amount to not feel disjointed and I hope it takes them on to bigger and better things because I want them to be around for a while purely for my own selfish enjoyment. For that to happen you need to support them so buy this album/see them on tour/tell your friends. If you don't have any friends just scream 'have you heard of Doomsday Outlaw?' out of your window at passers by.

Rating : 9/10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Johnston - Wide Eyes In the Dark

Release date: 19 Apr 2019 Nick Johnston   I first heard of Nick Johnston from a suggested YouTube video of his entire "Remarkably Human" album. The artwork image stood out to me and I was in the mood for new music and I left it on in the background. I ended up listening to it few times through and then going and buying his entire 4 CD biography, a ticket to see him live and the guitar tab for the RH album. Quite simply, I was hooked. As a preface to talking about the new album I'll briefly go over the development as I see it from the previous 4. The first to albums are a wide spread of styles where Nick is still exploring and developing his sound. By the third album 'Atomic Mind' the sound is more refined but still has the odd wild track. It is only at album number 4 where 'Remarkably Human' has a continuous theme and what is now a style that you can distinguish quite clearly as Nick Johnston. You can always tell his playing on the previou

Whitesnake - Flesh and Blood

Release date : May 10th 2019 Whitesnake fans are often divided between which era of the snake is the best. Some prefer the more old school bluesy approach of the early days but to me that's too close to the deep purple sound compared to what would eventually become what is to me the 'signature' sound. That is the John Sykes / Steve Vai big hair '1987' and 'slip of the tongue' era. What keeps Whitesnake consistent are the powerhouse vocals of the legendary David Coverdale. In his prime he was one of the best vocalists in rock music as far as I'm concerned. Years of screaming like the rock god he is has taken it's toll on the old vocal chords though because in recent years at live shows you can hear that the high scream is more a metal roar and you can sometimes hear the struggle to reach where he should be. That's if I had to criticise. I think it's forgivable given his career. Another thing worth noting is the whoever is

Vega - Live Review

  Venue - The Slade Rooms - Wolverhampton 6.7.2018 At a loss for what to do with a free Friday night I reached out to the friendly Facebook community group 'New Wave Of Classic Rock' to see what was on offer and the best recommendation for me was this gig. I was only vaguely aware of Vega so I checked a few songs and liked what I heard so I committed myself and bought a ticket that morning. Let me tell you I was not disappointed. I feel like I haven't been to a gig in a while and this was a good reminder that live music is always better. I was smiling throughout the whole thing.   First up we had Devilfire. Due to unexpected traffic I missed the first half of the set but what I did see I liked. If you're a fan of guyliner, straight long hair and melodic rock and roll then you will like them too. I would say it felt to me like the Scorpions with a touch of Nickleback. Did I buy a CD? yes I did. I've given it a quick spin and although it's good I th