Skip to main content

Witch Tripper - I, Of The Storm

Release Date - April 14th 2018

Track Listing

1. White Lines
2. State Of Mind
3. I Of The Storm
4. Poonstar
5. Roll The Dice
6. Hell Bound
7. High In The Sun
8. Cut Me Loose
9. The Road, It Hurts


 I'm fairly new to Witch Tripper having only heard their first self titled album a few months ago. It was at an event where my band shared to the bill with them that I first saw them. Based on that performance I had to see them again. I did. I wrote a review of it here. A selection of songs from this release were played at said gig and I now have to good fortune to be able to tell you what I think of the whole thing weeks before it's release.

 In a comparison to the first album the production is noticeably improved. It's less raw with a thicker and deeper guitar tone. Their self professed style is 'Stoner/Groove Rock and Roll' and largely I would agree with that based on the first album. This second album takes that and adds what I would call more traditional metal to the mix. The whole tone is a bit darker than the previous release. There are elements that I would consider very Metallica and Iron Maiden. I'll explain as I go on.

 Opening track 'White Lines' doesn't ease you in gently. The quick tempo stabs soon roll straight into the head banging groove that sets the pace for the album. This track and the following track ' State Of Mind' are the most Metallica-esque thinking of their last 2 albums. I don't think this was intentional and it's in no way a bad thing as I'm a big Metallica fan. 'I Of The Storm' for me sounds instrumentally like it could have been on Iron Maiden's Powerslave album. Richie Barlow's distinctive growl is what keeps all of this sounding 'Witch Tripper' over the whole album so don't think it's a complete change of style. 'Poonstar' is the first track that introduces a bit of sleaze to the sound and those rock and roll elements of something like Led Zeppelin. The next rack 'Roll the Dice' slows the tempo right down to a smoking blues speed. It allows Richie to show us his licks over the steady rumbling bass lines laid down by Chris Doughton. After that break we get straight back into classic rock and roll territory with 'Hell Bound' and 'High In The Sun'. Witch Tripper don't do ballads but I suppose 'Cut Me Loose' is the closest thing to one on here. For me it's the weakest track on the album. I fully support the right to experiment but it doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the songs. The closer 'The Road, It Hurts' get right back to what they do best. Riffing like there's no tomorrow. It ends the album on a high note and would hope to see it played in the live set as it might be my top track on here.

My conclusion is that this album is right up my alley in terms of style. I'm not just saying it's good. It genuinely is. I wouldn't have reviewed it if it was toss. It is a step forward for the band and hopefully will take them to the next level. You can pre-order/buy it at

 https://witchtripperuk.bandcamp.com/album/i-of-the-storm

I advise that you do.

Rating - 9/10

Best Track - The Road, It Hurts

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Johnston - Wide Eyes In the Dark

Release date: 19 Apr 2019 Nick Johnston   I first heard of Nick Johnston from a suggested YouTube video of his entire "Remarkably Human" album. The artwork image stood out to me and I was in the mood for new music and I left it on in the background. I ended up listening to it few times through and then going and buying his entire 4 CD biography, a ticket to see him live and the guitar tab for the RH album. Quite simply, I was hooked. As a preface to talking about the new album I'll briefly go over the development as I see it from the previous 4. The first to albums are a wide spread of styles where Nick is still exploring and developing his sound. By the third album 'Atomic Mind' the sound is more refined but still has the odd wild track. It is only at album number 4 where 'Remarkably Human' has a continuous theme and what is now a style that you can distinguish quite clearly as Nick Johnston. You can always tell his playing on the previou

Whitesnake - Flesh and Blood

Release date : May 10th 2019 Whitesnake fans are often divided between which era of the snake is the best. Some prefer the more old school bluesy approach of the early days but to me that's too close to the deep purple sound compared to what would eventually become what is to me the 'signature' sound. That is the John Sykes / Steve Vai big hair '1987' and 'slip of the tongue' era. What keeps Whitesnake consistent are the powerhouse vocals of the legendary David Coverdale. In his prime he was one of the best vocalists in rock music as far as I'm concerned. Years of screaming like the rock god he is has taken it's toll on the old vocal chords though because in recent years at live shows you can hear that the high scream is more a metal roar and you can sometimes hear the struggle to reach where he should be. That's if I had to criticise. I think it's forgivable given his career. Another thing worth noting is the whoever is

Vega - Live Review

  Venue - The Slade Rooms - Wolverhampton 6.7.2018 At a loss for what to do with a free Friday night I reached out to the friendly Facebook community group 'New Wave Of Classic Rock' to see what was on offer and the best recommendation for me was this gig. I was only vaguely aware of Vega so I checked a few songs and liked what I heard so I committed myself and bought a ticket that morning. Let me tell you I was not disappointed. I feel like I haven't been to a gig in a while and this was a good reminder that live music is always better. I was smiling throughout the whole thing.   First up we had Devilfire. Due to unexpected traffic I missed the first half of the set but what I did see I liked. If you're a fan of guyliner, straight long hair and melodic rock and roll then you will like them too. I would say it felt to me like the Scorpions with a touch of Nickleback. Did I buy a CD? yes I did. I've given it a quick spin and although it's good I th