Skip to main content

Judas Priest - Firepower

Released - 9 March 2018
Track listing
  1. Firepower
  2. Lightning Strike
  3. Evil Never Dies
  4. Never the Heroes
  5. Necromancer
  6. Children of the Sun
  7. Guardians
  8. Rising from Ruins
  9. Flame Thrower
  10. Spectre
  11. Traitors Gate
  12. No Surrender
  13. Lone Wolf
  14. Sea of Red
Firepower is the second album to feature Richie Faulkner on guitar and it seems like he has done a lot of the heavy lifting when it comes to riffs and solos. This is not a bad thing as he has given the band new life and renewed sense of energy. I can say straight away after one listen that this is the best album Judas Priest have released since 1990's Painkiller album. The cover is reminiscent of Screaming for Vengeance and and good sign that they have stuck to what makes Judas Priest the band they are. The production and particularly the guitar sound is an improvement on Redeemer of Souls. I believe this to be down to co producer Andy Sneap. He gets a consistent clean and tight sound that almost defines the modern metal tone. Now on to the music...

The first 2 released tracks Firepower and Lightning Strike set the tone for the album. Fast paced and wouldn't sound out of place on classic albums like painkiller. They are probably thebest songs on the album but don't let that stop you because the rest are not far behind. At 66 years old Rob Halford is still going strong and though he's not screaming like The Sentinel anymore it's still that vintage Halford sound. Evil Never Dies and Never the Heroes slow the place down slightly but the riffs continue to be heavy and the drums are still relentlessly pounding away. Necromancer Picks the tempo back up but with a heavy chugging chorus that get the head banging. Children of the sun sound like it could have been carried over from Redeemer of Souls. Not as a leftover because it's still a solid track. Rising form ruins with it's Guardians intro is a mini epic crammed into 6 min 29 seconds with its slow build into a chest beating anthem that would fit into the power metal genre no problems. Flame Thrower gets back to the power of the first 2 tracks. At this point in the album there has been no let up in quality and it continues to go on. The next song Spectre is a little bit different but in a way that harks back to the song The Ripper. A bit darker and more experimental. Traitors Gate and Never Surrender continue with the theme of the album which doesn't let up even at this point and there are only 2 songs to go. Lone Wolf changes a bit with a main riff that is more in line with Black Sabbath/Black Label Society but Halford's vocals keep it undeniably Priest. If any song lets the album down then for me it's Sea of Red. It's like its going for the epic feel but doesn't quite capture it. It's not an awful song by any means but considering the rest of the album I think it could have been left off. A disappointing end to what may actually be the best album of the year.

Rating - 9.5 out of 10

Best song - Firepower
Worst song - Sea of Red

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Johnston - Wide Eyes In the Dark

Release date: 19 Apr 2019 Nick Johnston   I first heard of Nick Johnston from a suggested YouTube video of his entire "Remarkably Human" album. The artwork image stood out to me and I was in the mood for new music and I left it on in the background. I ended up listening to it few times through and then going and buying his entire 4 CD biography, a ticket to see him live and the guitar tab for the RH album. Quite simply, I was hooked. As a preface to talking about the new album I'll briefly go over the development as I see it from the previous 4. The first to albums are a wide spread of styles where Nick is still exploring and developing his sound. By the third album 'Atomic Mind' the sound is more refined but still has the odd wild track. It is only at album number 4 where 'Remarkably Human' has a continuous theme and what is now a style that you can distinguish quite clearly as Nick Johnston. You can always tell his playing on the previou

Whitesnake - Flesh and Blood

Release date : May 10th 2019 Whitesnake fans are often divided between which era of the snake is the best. Some prefer the more old school bluesy approach of the early days but to me that's too close to the deep purple sound compared to what would eventually become what is to me the 'signature' sound. That is the John Sykes / Steve Vai big hair '1987' and 'slip of the tongue' era. What keeps Whitesnake consistent are the powerhouse vocals of the legendary David Coverdale. In his prime he was one of the best vocalists in rock music as far as I'm concerned. Years of screaming like the rock god he is has taken it's toll on the old vocal chords though because in recent years at live shows you can hear that the high scream is more a metal roar and you can sometimes hear the struggle to reach where he should be. That's if I had to criticise. I think it's forgivable given his career. Another thing worth noting is the whoever is

Vega - Live Review

  Venue - The Slade Rooms - Wolverhampton 6.7.2018 At a loss for what to do with a free Friday night I reached out to the friendly Facebook community group 'New Wave Of Classic Rock' to see what was on offer and the best recommendation for me was this gig. I was only vaguely aware of Vega so I checked a few songs and liked what I heard so I committed myself and bought a ticket that morning. Let me tell you I was not disappointed. I feel like I haven't been to a gig in a while and this was a good reminder that live music is always better. I was smiling throughout the whole thing.   First up we had Devilfire. Due to unexpected traffic I missed the first half of the set but what I did see I liked. If you're a fan of guyliner, straight long hair and melodic rock and roll then you will like them too. I would say it felt to me like the Scorpions with a touch of Nickleback. Did I buy a CD? yes I did. I've given it a quick spin and although it's good I th