Skip to main content

Live Review - Tuckstock 2

Venue - Rock City - Nottingham

It's Thursday night and you've got work early on Friday. On the one hand you have to be well rested for work to pay your bills. On the other hand there's free metal to had at a good venue near you. I know which one I care about more. The event was arranged as a 30th birthday party for somebody and from being there it looked like everybody had a good time.

First up we have Down In One.


Local band Down In One are a beer fuelled heavy metal band with a touch of groove. A few songs in and the band have set the bar for the night with chunky riffs and screaming vocals. If you like your metal with big, sweaty, hairy balls and enough girth to leave you needing stitches then this band is for you. 
They had the birthday boy up on stage for a requested cover of the Clutch song ' X ray vision'. I'd never heard the song before and it sounded good enough for me to want to check it out so that was a success. They finished with Mad Gun which is my favourite track of theirs.
They only have a 2 song single out at the moment which is not enough for my liking. It just means I'll have to keep going to see them live.


Next up we have Towers

Another Local band, T.O.W.E.R.S. take to the stage and what becomes very clear early on is that vocalist Holly is a natural born performer and has enough energy and stage presence to make you forget the rest of the band are even there. No disrespect to the guys in the back though. They solidly plough away with the riffs. Sometimes reminding me of the more punky side of Anthrax. There Was a nice cover of 'Show me how to live' by Audioslave. The best track by Chris Cornell in my opinion so that's a thumbs up from me for that. When Holly wasn't frantically jumping around she spent the rest of the time on the barricade getting close to the audience and for the cover sang the whole thing from the crowd side.



There was no ObZidian.

Finally we have Divine Chaos




I'd never heard of Divine Chaos before this gig so I didn't know what to expect. The opening scream of 'ARE YOU FUCKING READY?!' and the following Thrash/Heavy/Death metal that followed left me feeling like 'no. I was not ready for that.'. The riffs were machine gun like at places and bone crunching heavy at others. One thing that can be said is that this music and this band are a good example, is that it's definitely better when it's live. When you feel that bass drum in your chest and the riffs are so heavy that it makes you gurn it's a feeling that I love and why i go to metal gigs in the first place. I have since listened to a couple of tracks from the CD 'A new dawn in the age of war' and as good as it is it's doesn't beat the live feeling.


With that all being said if you see any of these names on a gig poster near you and you consider yourself into metal, I advise you to go to that gig.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Johnston - Wide Eyes In the Dark

Release date: 19 Apr 2019 Nick Johnston   I first heard of Nick Johnston from a suggested YouTube video of his entire "Remarkably Human" album. The artwork image stood out to me and I was in the mood for new music and I left it on in the background. I ended up listening to it few times through and then going and buying his entire 4 CD biography, a ticket to see him live and the guitar tab for the RH album. Quite simply, I was hooked. As a preface to talking about the new album I'll briefly go over the development as I see it from the previous 4. The first to albums are a wide spread of styles where Nick is still exploring and developing his sound. By the third album 'Atomic Mind' the sound is more refined but still has the odd wild track. It is only at album number 4 where 'Remarkably Human' has a continuous theme and what is now a style that you can distinguish quite clearly as Nick Johnston. You can always tell his playing on the previou

Whitesnake - Flesh and Blood

Release date : May 10th 2019 Whitesnake fans are often divided between which era of the snake is the best. Some prefer the more old school bluesy approach of the early days but to me that's too close to the deep purple sound compared to what would eventually become what is to me the 'signature' sound. That is the John Sykes / Steve Vai big hair '1987' and 'slip of the tongue' era. What keeps Whitesnake consistent are the powerhouse vocals of the legendary David Coverdale. In his prime he was one of the best vocalists in rock music as far as I'm concerned. Years of screaming like the rock god he is has taken it's toll on the old vocal chords though because in recent years at live shows you can hear that the high scream is more a metal roar and you can sometimes hear the struggle to reach where he should be. That's if I had to criticise. I think it's forgivable given his career. Another thing worth noting is the whoever is

Live review - Witch Tripper

Date - 23.3.18 Venue - The Hairy Dog  City - Derby Cost - £5   Line up : Primal  28 Double Ritual King Witch Tripper  This is the first time I've been to The Hairy Dog and I don't think it will be the last . The stage is as good as any small club gig I've been to the lighting effects, projector backdrop and smoke we're all used to good effect and added to the joy of watching these bands. I'll get onto those now... First up we're Primal. I'd never seen or heard these before. A Nottingham 3 piece (drums, guitar, vocals) that when I first saw them thought 'Where's the bass?'. It turns out they don't need them because their 1 guitarist sounds like 3 with all the effects that he uses. The sound reminded me of Rival sons/Royal Blood. Not really my kind of music but not bad by any means. I got the impression they are a band that hasn't gigged very  much because the whole thing for me lacked confidence. The vocalist barely loo